Friday, November 11, 2011

Just short - 11/11/11

OK, so nerd moment.  I think it is totally cool the way that the 11's lined up today.  So I was trying to squeeze in an 11 mile bike ride to celebrate.  But, as usual, life (and my lack of forethought) got in the way.  This morning I did attend my kids' all school mass for Veteran's Day where my son did a nice introduction talking about the history of the holiday (that the WWI armistice treaty was signed in the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month - which further proved to me the coolness of 11's).  Then I busted a move to my friend's office in Columbia so I could get a draft of a survey he wanted me to draw up in CAD and put it on his desk before I left.   Had promised my husband I would be home by 2, so I left as soon as the plotter spit it out and hurried back to Jeff City. 

My husband was laid off this morning (not an all bad thing as the night shifts were getting old).  The good news is that he was now free to head down to the farm with my son to get in some deer hunting (opening day of rifle season is tomorrow).  So I had promised him I'd dig out my son's social security card in order to go buy his deer tag and then help pack up everything so they could leave as soon as school was out.  Before I knew it, 3:30 had come and gone and I still hadn't figured out how to get in my bike ride and the boys were gone.  But it was SO BEAUTIFUL!  Like 62° and sunny (although yes, some wind) beautiful.  So I called up my mother-in-law, but she was already babysitting across town for my sis-in-law.  Thought a bit more and called my friend Tania and she said my daughter could hang out at her house for an hour while I got in a quick ride. 

So I threw on my bike shorts, a t-shirt, light jacket and helmet and blasted off!  We rode our bikes up to Tania's and then I took off for 54 minutes of ME time.  I was burning daylight so I didn't waste time.  Can I just say that I am not happy about the time change?!  I rode out to the interchange, up further on the Algoa hill than I had gone before (sucking wind a bit here) and then around Scholastic before heading back to Tania's to pick up my girl.  I was hopeful that I had gotten in 11 miles.  Oh well - Map My Ride says I fell just short.  But the cool thing?  10.11 miles - close enough for coolness sake?  I think so!

Tons of work to do this weekend.  How come I've totally been twiddling my fingers and all of a sudden four clients want something on Monday!?!  And with my daughter underfoot, I'm not sure how it will all get done.  Maybe she can go hang with grandma on Sunday for a bit which might also allow me to get in a short run (ie. walk/jog).  Hope the weather continues to be nice.  I'm not quite ready to get into the cold and gray days of winter yet.

Special note to all the veterans out there:  God bless you for your service.  I got a couple of tears in my eyes thinking about all veterans while the kids sang in church this morning.  My brother-in-law has been serving in the Navy since June 2002 (save 9 months he was "lent" to the army to go to Afghanistan).  My father-in-law was in the National Guard for 30 years (including a tour in Vietnam).  We are so proud of them! 

1 comment:

  1. Economically speaking, now isn't the best time to be laid off. But getting off night shift is a good thing. Here's hoping he finds something he likes soon.

    Nice to be outside on the bike. I saw some people on their bikes during my run, but not me. That's just the way things go, everybody always wants stuff at the same time.

    ReplyDelete