Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Foam Roller - Friend or Foe?

Well, I finally broke down and purchased my very own foam roller.  I had decided this would be the week when I saw them on sale in the Target ad.  Still $17 for a glorfied piece of foam, but better than $25 (though I may wish I had splurged on the longer one).  It came with a little 15 min DVD with a few exercises demonstrated by a Gumby-like Indian yogi-looking guy.  I also proceeded to check out a few other exercises on Youtube and try some out that were supposed to "cure shin splints in 1-2 days". 

But here is the thing...OUCH!  First, I had no idea how tight I was in so many places.  I thought it was just a few spots on my legs, but turns out I need to be stretched on a machine like one of those medieval racks.  I watched some TV and rolled and rolled.  I had tears come to my eyes more than once and had to lay off.  Then I'd hit it again.  Will I be glad that I did this?  Or will I suffer more? 

So tell me - is your foam roller a friend or foe?  Either way, which moves do you the most good? 

7 comments:

  1. Friend but then you knew that already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used it a lot but its not my favorite thing to do (because it hurts!). I like the IT band rolling and the hamstrings and quads. I also use it on my tailbone when it's sore from biking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE my foam roller because it hurts so good....rolls out those kinks and pains! Just rolled tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got a good price on the roller. That thing hurts like crazy!!! Sometimes I wonder why that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tagged you to participate in the "11 Random Things About Me" meme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mine, it does hurt at first, but then once you loosen up, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The foam roller is a necessary evil, I'm afraid. I use it every day on my calves. You "sort of" get used to it.

    ReplyDelete