Friday, January 4, 2013

Pizza Gut/Trainer Time

I don't know what I was thinking when I loaded my gut up with pizza only an hour or so before jumping on the trainer for 70 minutes.  That's not true.  I was thinking "Damn, this spicy chicken pizza tastes good with this full octane Coke!"  And then I was thinking "I really had intended to get a workout in tonight and I shouldn't be such a wuss." 

So I ate a gluttonous dinner and slogged through trainer time while watching more Gossip Girl on Netflix.  I played with the resistance and cadence as I have before.  I find that I can't achieve the lung-crushing feeling of hill climbing that I get from riding outdoors.  Not sure if I'm worried about that yet.  I know I can do some hill training when weather is more conducive.

In other news, I went on a relatively nice walk with my husband this afternoon (who ragged on me about my Netflix addiction).  We probably went around 2 miles (pretty standard walk for him at a nice brisk pace in 35° weather dodging patches of ice on the sidewalk).  The sun was out and I actually got a little hot so we sat on the porch and talked some more when we got back until I got chilled and went inside. 

He goes back to work next week and I will need to dig in more then too.  I ended up not going to the office today though I worked at my home office on the drainage nightmare plus handled some issues for another client via phone/text/email.  (Side note: Patrick commented about my office situation - I work from home some of the time, but I also cop a squat at the office of some surveyor friends in Columbia whenever I need to get away from the home distractions - it is mutually beneficial as I do work for them and they do work for me.  I also chip in for stuff like paper and toner and whatever else I can to not feel like a mooch.)

I have been working on my tentative race schedule and a pretty exhaustive list of personal goals for 2013.  Hope to get it relatively figured out this weekend and post something very soon.  I let myself off the hook on a lot of goals last year and I want to set some high bars that are achievable if I put my mind to them.  I think it will make me happier in the long run.

YTD:
Swimming = 0 yds
Biking = 15.1 miles (using 13 mph conversion on trainer time)
Running = 6.3 miles

5 comments:

  1. Gotcha. The Private Equity firm that owns the company I work for has an office in Santa Monica that I use sometimes and was in fact was up there today. I don't kick in for paper though, do you think I should?...no I don't think so either.

    Random trainer tip #1395. Put your front wheel block on a 4x4 so your bike position pitches up which will change the muscle recruitment in your legs to as if you where climbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Gossip Girl must be something else! Maybe I need to check it out while I ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you do intervals on the trainer? I find that makes a huge difference in getting some quality work in. Not the same as hills, but it can be a workout in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Netflix is a life saver on the trainer or treadmill. I've been sorry about some things I've eaten before a trainer ride too, but they taste so good I do it anyway :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Offer still stands on trainer advice.

    ReplyDelete