Saturday, January 5, 2013

2013 Race Schedule

Though this is somewhat tentative, I'd better just put it out there and try to adjust on the fly as I have to:

January 12, 2013 - SHITR (Shivering Icy Trail Run) at Lost Valley Conservation Area - starting with climbing "the mound" and then running (hiking, jogging, crawling) the trail for a total of 13.07 miles.  As close to my first half marathon as I've ever been at one time.  And it will be DARK.  And COLD.  And with a bunch of totally fun people who will come find my broken body on the trail if needed.  Must pack camera!  You should totally come join us!

March 16, 2013 - Luck of the Irish 5K - downtown Jefferson City - may do this with my daughter like last year if she is up for it.

April 6, 2013 - MaxTrax Duathlon (long course - 1.5 mi run/15 mi bike/3 mi run) - I like repeating races and seeing if I can do better.  Last year was more of a slogfest than I had envisioned.  I like to have a strong showing.

April 6, 2013 - CAC (Carnage at the Creek) - greater Callaway County adventure non-race put on by Team Virtus - I'm nowhere near ready to take on a race like this, but I would like to volunteer in some capacity after the duathlon earlier in the day. 

April 13, 2013 - Ava Brown Memorial 5K - a charity race for the late daughter of one of the Team Virtus guys.  Did it last year on a total last minute whim and it was a good time with really good people even with questionable weather.

May 5, 2013 - TriZou Sprint Triathlon - I'm a little ambivalent about this one as it is a pool swim with self-seeding and a bike/run in the crap shoot of Missouri spring weather (hot, cold or perfect?).  But I'm afraid if I don't have something pushing me to keep up the tri training, I'll only bike all spring.

June 1, 2013 - Tour De Cure St. Louis (Century) - Definitely my BHAG for the year.  Want to raise at least $500 between now and then.  Want to get in enough mileage on the bike this spring that I don't suffer too much on the day of.  Obviously this is a "ride" and not a "race", but truthfully I don't "race" even when it is a "race".

June 29, 2013 - Octomax or Quartermax Triathlon (sprint or Oly) - This is another "maybe".  Is it too much to ask to put this at the end of my family vacation?  Will it be too soon after the TDC?  Is it worth driving to Innsbrook for a sprint?  Will I be trained enough to tackle my first Oly?  How does it fit with the other training, racing, etc.?

Early July 2013 - Tour de Jefferson City - Parks and Rec middle of the night moonlit ride around town for fun (15 miles).  Didn't do it last year because it was only a few days before Pewaukee.  Year before it was pretty fun.  We'll see.  They should publish the date soon.

July 14, 2013 - Pewaukee (WI) Sprint Triathlon - This would be the 3rd time I tackled this race in as many years with it having been the event that popped my tri cherry and started all of this craziness.  But I'm still working out if I will go to this one or another two weeks later (different course so harder to compare and I like being able to compare).  Also, my husband will be in the thick of teaching an intensive summer course and won't be able to travel with me which may also preclude my kids from going which would be a bummer.  So not 100% sure.  It is also a week closer to Show Me Games which fouls the calendar some.

July 21, 2013 - Show Me State Games Sprint Triathlon - Again, 3rd time in 3 years though I suffered in insane heat both times before.  But this race is like 30 min from my house and costs like $25 to do it.  Hard to say "no" to that!

August 10, 2013 - The date is a total guess based on last year, but if the Jeff City Rotaract repeats the Kicks in the Sticks trail race (7.5 mi) the day before my 40th birthday, I think this may just have to be my birthday present to myself again. 

August 24, 2013 - Lake St. Louis Triathlon (Oly) - I've eyed this race for the last two years (though the first year only looked at the sprint distance.  It has a pretty long history and is well supported by the community.  I could stay with my friend Betsy in St. Charles to nix the wee hour commute and probably get her and her sweet daughter to come cheer me on.  I think the course would make for a solid first Oly attempt (if I don't man up for the Quartermax in June).

September 1, 2013 - Epic Mud Run with husband and friends - I hope to do some serious recruiting for this "race".  I may let my kids do the Jr race too.  It was a total blast last year and I can't wait to do it again - and more friends would make it even more fun. 

September 21, 2013 - Roots 'n Blues Half Marathon - Susan did this race last year without me and struggled with a bit of a bonk towards the end, but finished.  I know we could totally do it together though I haven't really determined if she wants to or not.  I'd say this is a definite maybe.

October 2013 - There are always a smattering of 5K's to choose from (like nearly every weekend).  I might do the Helias Homecoming one again.  I might do one of the dozens that seem to go to various cancer charities.  Or I might see if friends are doing a long stretch of Katy Trail riding under the gorgeous fall color again (ideal if I can have my husband pick me up in Hermann).  I'm leaving this month open, but sure that I'll do something fun.

November 28, 2013 - Pie Run 5K - Wonder if my man will whoop up on me again?

December 2013 - Jingle Bell Run - Hopefully not missed due to flu like the 2012 race.

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun year ahead of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a jammed packed year of racing! Looking forward to reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got a packed race schedule! Great job. I'm sitting here reading your list and I"m thinking .... ugh I have two planned. I'm a slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have a busy year planned! Looking forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an aggressive race calendar. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a pretty full schedule. It looks like a fun one though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lot of races, I love it!! It is something crazy I would do, not this year though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you've got several events picked out for 2013!

    ReplyDelete