Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Virtual 5K

Yesterday it snowed like crazy - big fat flakes with some minor accumulation.  I didn't go into the office as I had planned and ended up kind of blowing the day off.  The good news is that I got a nice check from a client in the mail that ended my year a little better financially.  I also got started on my 2012 "year in review" post (nearly done, but looking for some pics). 

After a night of revelry with friends (a family friendly party we've gone to for years which gets easier each year the kids get older to the point I barely see mine), we packed up nearly all of the indoor Christmas decorations (since the outdoor ones are covered in snow).  I did a load of laundry and told myself I'd get out for Kiley's (at Daily Vitamin F) New Year's Virtual 5K as soon as the dryer buzzer sounded.  I finished dressing in my layers to deal with the 25° temps right as it buzzed and headed out the door.


I jogged out into the street with a bright orange sweatshirt to be as visible as possible since the sidewalks are covered in snow/ice.   Thankfully, there wasn't much traffic and the streets were plenty clear.  I tried to run more than walk and made it down to Modern Litho (1.6 miles away) in 17:something.  Headed back, but walked more than I had intended and fought my way up the hill.  My legs were tired (and somewhat sore) from my weekend workouts, but it took 38:11 for the 3.2 miles total.  Still not an awful pace (for me).
Self-portrait just after getting home - 3.2 miles done. 
I had on my Pie Run shirt, UA tights, non-wind resistant running pants, and a Carhartt sweatshirt with my IECA beanie/gloves (best conference attendance gift ever).  I was cold the first mile, perfect the middle mile and kind of hot/sweaty the last mile.  I took the gloves off about midway and stuffed them in the pocket of the sweatshirt.  Just kind of tracking what I wear to have a better idea what to pick on other runs.

Time to start anew:

YTD:
Swimming = 0 yds
Biking = 0 miles
Running = 3.2 miles

Still thinking about my goals, race calendar, etc for 2013.  Post to come after I finish my 2012 wrapup.

4 comments:

  1. Nice job on the run! It's fun to keep seeing the pace come down. Dressing for cold is always tricky for me bc of the wind. Maybe a lighter top layer? Always a guessing game.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job getting it done!!!! So hard to force yourself outside when it's cold but you did it! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have got me by 3.2 miles
    I was going to run 10 today but painting my son's bedroom with him got in the way...
    Life... can't live with it, can't live without it... (huh?)
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete