Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Headlamp Tryout Run

After a few days of laziness and procrastination, I got inspired to go for a short run (2.1 miles) tonight to try out my son's headlamp that I had hoped to use for the SHITR this weekend.  It came up in a FB discussion about what I would need to get through my 3+ hours.  I was told to make sure it didn't give me a headache, wouldn't slip around too much and was bright enough for my needs. 

It was a bit of a fail.  While I am probably more visible with it, it did a pretty half ass job of lighting the way - and that is between streetlights.  I can't imagine using it for the trails.  It didn't really bother my head and would be better than nothing, but I'll go out to a couple of stores tomorrow and see if I can come up with something better.  Definitely the sort of time I wish I lived in a place where there were more shopping options than Dicks (which just opened), Walmart and MCSports.  No REI within 2 hours of me.  Of course, if I had been thinking ahead at all, I could have ordered one.  But such is life.

I took 2 funny post run pics of me with the headlamp on in the dark - one with and one without flash, but Blogger is being a butthead and not letting me load them into the post.  Grr...figures when I try to improve my visual content - good old Murphy and his laws creep in.  Will try to add it later.

YTD:
Swimming = 0 yds
Biking = 15.1 miles
Running = 8.4 miles



6 comments:

  1. Hopefully you can track one down or someone has one you can borrow. My old one's not great, and I haven't actually tried out my new one (despite my own advice). See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you find a light. I can't imagine runnings trails at night without one unless there is a full moon or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a head lamp and it is still in its package

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolute worst case is that you could run with the headlamp and a supplemental mini-maglight in your hand...those things are small and pretty bright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't run with a headlamp... the bouncing light makes me sick! :) but Tom wears a great one (I will have to ask him where he got it) and it lights the way for both of us. For some reason, his bouncing doesn't bother me as much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely don't enjoy running in a headlamp.
    Hiking... ok.
    Biking ... ok.
    Running....uhhhh no.

    ReplyDelete