Sunday, May 26, 2013

Taste of What is to Come

Bed inertia was strong yesterday morning - must have been that gravitational pull to my husband.  I didn't make it out for the ride with Walter - staying in bed until he was probably nearly done.  Then the rain came and I held off going until I had other things to do and places to be.  So I had to get off my ass today and go.  But a pretty late night had me sleeping in a smidge and heading to mass at 10.  Got home and ate a little bit and read the paper and punted part of the afternoon.  Before the inertia of taking an afternoon nap got the better of me, I jumped into my shorts and jersey and headed out.

There was a chance of pop up thunderstorms that looked to be forming off to the west.  My husband  assured me that he'd come get me in a downpour, but I decided it was easiest to just stay close to home.  I did some loop-de-loops and knocked out 18.2 miles all within 3 miles of home.  Did the interchange three times for some hill work (plus the hill coming home).  But also pushed some on the flats.  I was sweating buckets as the expected "partly cloudy" turned to out not to be the case and I was getting cooked in 88° heat and humidity.  I made sure to drink plenty.  Looking at the forecast for next weekend, it is probably a taste of things to come.  Not bad for summer, but awful when you've been bundling up for rides most of the spring.

Upon looking at the data, I am a bit befuddled as to why my heart rate skyrockets so badly on climbs.  Does it do this for everyone?  I had a max heart rate of 198 with an average of 169.  And even on the flats, I seemed to be solidly in the 170's.  Even a little incline would send me up into the 180's.  Maybe elevation change does that to everyone, but I guess it just makes me go "huh?"  I mean, I see people talk about riding all of their IM bike in 150-170.  I would nearly have to walk my bike to stay in that range.  Am I that cardiovascularly unfit? 

While pedaling away today, I got to thinking about what I want to do after next week is behind me (regardless of how my first century goes).  I will sign up for the cheap sprint tri (ie. Show Me State Games - $25), but not sure what else I want to tackle this summer.  I'm on the fence about signing up for Lake St. Louis Oly (if it isn't already filled).  But it is in the depths of August (which in Missouri is usually kind of miserable).  And I tentatively am going to train for a half in late Sept.  Decisions, decisions.  And since we aren't doing Pewaukee this year, I would like to find a kids race for my girl.

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

YTD:
Swimming = 10,000 yds = 5.7 mi
Biking = 717.5 miles
Running = 92.0 miles


6 comments:

  1. You have the heart rate of a hummingbird! Some of the women in the spin class were the same way. They had to ride apart from one another or their heart rate monitors went crazy.

    You have the same issues with hills I do. It's a kind of unfitness. Going up hills is a strength thing. Typically you're already in your lowest gear, then your cadence starts dropping. Most people start plunging the pedals down, rather than spinning them around. That really changes the demands on your system. It takes training and practice to spin even when going up hills. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle when I get into the low 150s for sustained periods, but I am old..

    Save up for a 1/2. Pick one that is fairly flat and is in the Fall. You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never wear my HRM...I should...silly to have the opportunity to learn more and not use it.

    Good luck deciding on a race this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you downshift to try to keep your cadence around 90? Of do you run out of gears?

    Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a lot which impacts HR and those impacts can change from ride to ride. Don't be a slave to it.

    The numbers that you are listing seem on the high side but understanding cardiac reserve and recovery are more important.

    Good luck on choosing a race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still trying to find out how to best use my HR monitor also. I hate wearing it!

    ReplyDelete