Thursday, May 2, 2013

Run Before Rain

Mother Nature took another drag on her crack pipe by dropping the temperature overnight about 30-35° and bringing in a front that gave us a bit of rain and a little snow to those just north of us (Hello - we don't get snow in Missouri in MAY!).  Saw a funny on FB about the KC Royals in first place and snow on May 2nd just being a dream.  LOL

But I texted Susan last night so I couldn't bail on her again this week out of laziness.  She was still at the hospital (call night) so I wasn't sure what she'd be up for.  But this morning she said she had 12 miles on her half marathon training schedule and she'd be happy to have me join her for the final 4 miles.  So I dawdled at home a bit and then drove out to the Greenway Edgewood parking lot.  Timing was great and she came around the bend just as I was locking my car.

I really didn't need my jacket which I realized after I'd already worn it on the first quarter mile.  So I tied it around my waist.  It was cloudy, damp and cool so it was hard to judge.  We went out a pretty easy 2 miles.  She was struggling to hold pace after already getting 8 miles in before I got there.  I didn't want to push too much with a race this weekend, but I wanted to stretch it out a little at the half way point so when she pointed to the power pole we were going to turn around at, I told her I'd wait for her there.  I can't hold the faster pace for very long, but it felt good to get my heart rate up.

Back to a slower, easier pace all the way back.  I was proud of Susan for knocking out a super long run in prep for the Go Girl half in a few weeks.  She wanted me to do it with her, but I decided it was too close to the Tour de Cure (which is just 4 weeks away!)

When we sat on the bench to stretch, she snapped this pic - said it was for Boston.  God bless her!  Such a good friend (and the pretty easy pace) made this the best 4 miles I've done in ages!

Love her pink calf sleeves and shoes!

YTD:
Swimming = 9600 yds = 5.5 mi
Biking = 558.0 miles
Running = 84.8 miles

5 comments:

  1. Ugh, 30's?!?!?1 We are finally getting good weather here (knock on wood)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather has been crazy here also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter here over the last few days, with rain mixed in. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This weather is crazy! Do we say that every year in St. Louis?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been tagged on my blog!!!! It sounds like a great run!

    ReplyDelete