Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Climbing hills - at the waterpark!

My husband got laid off last week (an electrican - comes with the territory) and we'd been putting off some fun things that we try to do every summer before school starts until this time (which we knew would come).  So today, when the mercury was on the rise, we took off for the Lake of the Ozarks and a fun time at Big Surf.  We decided last night to get there about 2:30-2:45 and slather on the sunscreen in order to buy discounted tix at 3 PM (saving $36).  Three hours was really going to be enough of hiking up the hills between each downhill slide run. 

I mostly stuck with my 10 year old son and my husband stuck with our 7 year old daughter.  We did a couple laps around the lazy river, several runs down the "rapids", a few runs down the "no tube" slides and played around in the kiddie area (where he went across the "lilypads" and we played some water basketball).  I could swim across this "pool area" in one breath (about four-five strokes) so it was hardly a workout.  Of course we also played in the wave pool some.  The crowds thinned out as closing time approached.  My feet were really starting to hurt with all the walking barefoot on 100°+ concrete (air temp over 100° all afternoon - at 6 PM the truck thermometer said 108°).  I was glad we were only there for 3 hours.  Everyone had fun and we enjoyed some Culvers bacon burgers and custard afterwards. 

School starts two weeks from tomorrow.  I hope we can squeeze in some more fun in that time.  Too bad the weather isn't being more cooperative.  Back to the grind tomorrow.  Need to get some billable hours in.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for swinging by my blog AND leaving your mark. I have a lot of respect for newbies who have the courage to go out there and attempt something that most mere mortals consider.... crazy!

    Good luck to you in all of your training. I look forward to following your new found love of triathlon. Go get it!

    -tridadoffive

    ReplyDelete