Saturday, April 21, 2012

Back in the Saddle Again

I had a pretty lazy, although incredibly busy, week and my workouts suffered.  Nothing Wed, Thur or Fri save hiking around a conference in heels (and at the Lake of the Ozarks, that is a bit of a workout because the resort is on a freakin hillside).  Wed I was freaking out due to a massive technology fail.  Got my laptop out of the shop at 6 PM.  Not good when leaving at 7 AM for a conference where I was to give a presentation that was only on said laptop.  STRESS!!  Thankfully, I had given the presentation 3 other times so I was solid on it and didn't even panic when the freakin laptop decided to reboot and install some stupid update 3/4 of the way through the presentation. 

But the bad news is without my laptop for the greater part of a week (and a healthy dose of procrastination), I hadn't written the slides for my Friday presentation (same conference).  I tried staying up Thur night, but the laptop wouldn't connect to the internet and I tried a few workarounds to no avail.  Pretty hard to go grab some images when I can't get online.  I said "Fuck it" at 10 PM and crashed into bed.  Got up and skipped the first half of the first session to stop in at Staples and pick up a sticky note flip chart and some flip chart markers and gave a 1.5 hour presentation very OLD SCHOOL.  I had a basic outline of what I wanted to cover and it came out perfectly.  Too bad that it was the last session and only about 15 people came.  Though they seemed engaged and it was probably better than the "death by Powerpoint" that it would have been otherwise.

Amongst all of this, I made sure my husband got my daughter to a Girl Scout event, I packed lunches each day at 5:30 AM and dropped kids off at school at 7:00 to get to the Lake by 8:00 for the conference, remembered to have daughter wear spirit shirt for the field trip on Friday, picked up a cute running tank for Susan at the Nike outlet for her birthday which was Friday (and invited her to stop by to pick it up and chat for a bit) and wrote a Statement of Qualifications that had to be submitted by 5 PM Friday for some possible engineering work (delivered at 4:30 after I picked up the kids, dropped off the neighbor's kids, came home and printed, etc).

Finished reading another awesome book this week when I was restless and couldn't get to sleep (plus some today).  I'm behind on some book reviews so I'll try to get to that this week.  Today I did a lot of mom duty driving kids here there and everywhere, but with them gone half the day, I got some work done for a meeting on Monday and laundry and the like.  It was a beautiful day, but I procrastinated going out for a bike ride (after a 2 week hiatus from riding).  Finally got moving and knocked out 13.7 miles in an hour.  Not bad.  Husband did some minor adjusting to my saddle afterwards and I'm looking forward (sort of) to another bike ride to see how it feels after another hour or so back in the saddle.  Now if I can just drag my ass back to the pool.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are still crazy busy. Nice job improvising for your presentation! You obviously know what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you took it Old School to make things work :)

    And YAY! for getting out on your bike!!!!!! here's hoping things calm down a bit for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one busy lady. I think "old school" presentations are more inviting and offer more interaction!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an inspiration. I feel like, as a new mother and wife I never know how to organize all the things in my life and then have time for exercise and blogging to boot ;) I am just going to follow your lead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have nightmares about tech fail. Glad you pulled through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tough to do this stuff with so many responsibilites... but it is great to do whatever you can do... trust me, I know

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you improvised. You are a true professional. Hope you get your gear running soon.

    ReplyDelete