Thursday, February 23, 2012

New running friends

So I think I've mentioned that last summer I joined the Columbia (Missouri) Multisport Club - affectionately referred to as "CMC".  I mostly joined because I was interested in learning more about my new crush "Triathlon".  But frankly, the 10% discount at the running store didn't hurt either.  I also was interested in their group workouts though I only managed to get to one open water swim in the late summer. 

I signed up for their "Biggest Loser" contest with some other folks.  I haven't been a very good team member here either as I have dropped very little weight and have missed some of the speakers and special workouts they arranged for the group because I seem to be on mom duty every Sunday when they have them.  Boo!  But I did join the group's Facebook page and have been in touch as the group cheered me on when I managed to get in a good workout.

The other day I suggested they do a lunchtime (workday) workout so I might be able to join in.  One of the ladies (Betsy) said she'd do it with me even if no one else was available.  So I agreed to meet up with her today for a run (warning her of my slowness).  I got to her house and we went out for about 20-30 min with her dog (fairly slow with some walking on my behalf as much so the dog could sniff and pee as anything).  Then we went back for a cup of water and to meet up with another guy (Ben).  Apparently, they were scheduled to do an "Insanity" workout together over lunch too and he was game to warm up with the tail end of our run.  We headed out to the main road and about 0.5 mi or so in, another CMC gal joined in (catching up with us when she was headed to Betsy's house and saw us so she parked at Walgreens and jumped across the street to join - name was Kelly I think).  After we got back, they did another workout, but I was a sweaty mess as I had pushed the pace some to keep from feeling like I was holding them way back.  They were very nice about it, but I still felt bad every time I had to walk.

Betsy also offered to loan me her road bike to try out until I can afford my own.  We didn't get it out to see how it fit, but we aren't much different in height so I think it would work with minor adjustments.  She even had toe cages on it so I don't have to run out and buy cycling shoes (though I intend to get some eventually).  So next time I head up there she wants me to bring my truck so I can get it home.  How nice is that!  Even if it is a bit of a band-aid fix to my lack of bike issue, it would maybe get me to spring!

I got back to the office and mapped the run the best I could given we did a bunch of neighborhood roads that made it confusing to remember.  Best guess was that we did about 3.5 miles.  The sun had come out and the wind died down a bit and it was gorgeous!  Weird enough the wind and clouds returned right as I was toying with the idea of a quick bike ride late this afternoon.

Betsy is also self-employed and has a flexible schedule so she invited me to come by anytime I was in town to get in a run.  She also teaches a spinning class and said to let her know if I wanted to try it out.  So looks like I have yet another person to kick me in the butt when I need it!  Yay!  Better get my CMC membership renewed (which apparently runs on a calendar basis - oops).  Maybe later this spring I can finally do some of the group workouts I see on the listserve emails all the time.

4 comments:

  1. Workout buddies are incredible. We help each other out with gear and support in our runs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that joining the local tri club was one of the best decisions I've made for many reasons like you describe. And I think AT LEAST 76% of runners remember what it was like to start and our happy to run with someone new, slow or not. Very cool of her to let you borrow her bike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great news... I'm sure that she enjoyed the company too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! I love my active friends. They keep me sane and put up with my constant chatter about triathlons!

    ReplyDelete