Monday, June 17, 2013

Me and My Watch

I've continued to struggle with overall motivation lately.  Wed, Thur, Fri, and Sat passed without me getting off the couch.  What the heck is up with that?  With my husband and son leaving for Scout camp early on Sunday morning, I knew it was my last chance for a few days to get with it so I drug my butt out of bed and went out for an hour on my bike.   My Garmin wouldn't turn on and I figured the battery was dead.  So I took it off and headed out with nothing, but the clock on my phone.

It wasn't too terribly hot (mid-70's), but was pretty humid.  Thankfully, the sun wasn't completely out.  But mid-way through the first climb, I thought I was going to hurl.  I stopped and caught my breath, got a drink and then granny geared my way up the rest of the hill.  I just felt like crap.  I kept my pace very slow and cranked my way out to the Taos interchange.  I swung through the gas station parking lot to turn around (this was the only time I dodged any cars - gotta love quiet Sunday mornings).  I was already 30 minutes in and I wanted to get back in time to kiss the boys goodbye so I headed home.  The big hill just before home wasn't as miserable.

Mapped my ride and it was just shy of 11.7 miles.  Pretty sad for taking me an entire hour.  Ugh.  Maybe it was a good thing I didn't get to look at my heart rate, speed, etc data.   I went to charge the watch and it said it was only at 50%.  It later turned on fine so I'm not sure what was wrong.

Today, my daughter and I overslept - forgetting about her tennis lesson.  Oops.  Then we kind of chilled in the morning and went out for lunch.  We headed to Columbia so I could work a bit and then we went to the ARC for some swimming.  She entertained herself for the first hour while I knocked out 2550 yards (I think - watch said 2525, but I did 50 yd laps).  Then I got a drink and played with her for another hour - swimming all over so I am ok with rounding up if the Garmin overestimated.

Mike asked me the other day how I am liking my Garmin 910XT.  Except for the other day when it didn't start for some random reason, I have LOVED it.  It does everything I expected (though I haven't tried everything out).  It helps me track everything and totally feeds my data nerd self.  I like looking through all the  heart rate, speed, pace, maps, SWOLF, etc info.  It was definitely a bit of a splurge - a "want" versus a "need", but I'm enjoying the heck out of it.  I think I will buy the speed/cadence sensor for my bike soon.  I think it would add another interesting metric and be very useful when I put the bike back on the trainer in the winter.  Now if it just had a feature where it kicked me out the door!

YTD:
Swimming = 13,950 yds = 7.9 mi
Biking = 841.4 miles
Running = 103.1 miles

3 comments:

  1. Cool that you love the 910xt. I'm always on the fence about getting one.

    For the bike, I love my cateye double wireless computer. I put the speed sensor on the back wheel so I can get speed info on the trainer. Love having cadence so I can try to stay in the 90-95 range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had any luck with GPS watches. Now I just race and train by "feel".... "Feel good" .... keep on going. "Feel like crap"..... quit..
    Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garmins have a mind of their own. For the most part, I've liked the Forerunner 305, and the basic Edge 200 has worked well for me on the bike.

    ReplyDelete