So with no workouts to discuss, I wouldn't normally have much to post about. I'm pretty sure no one cares that I rewatched three seasons of Vampire Diaries while sick. But then Miss Zippy posted her annual questions to reflect on the previous year of running (or whatever you do). So thanks to her, I get to crawl out from my flu hibernation and share some thoughts.
- Best race experience? Pewaukee Triathlon (Wisconsin in July) - I struggled a bit on the swim, but still only came out faster than last year on what everyone seemed to agree was a long course, had a good T1, a solid bike, a good T2 and held it together on the run to shave a ton of time off my first triathlon (same race 2011) and beat my sister by 5 min. It was such a moral victory for me - such a sign of how far I'd come.
- Best run? Just about any of my runs with Susan on the Katy Trail. The first time she "accidentally" made me go 8.4 miles - but later we did that distance more regularly (and on purpose) and it got easier. It was gorgeous in the fall with the leaves changing in the cool air and sunshine. The turnaround is a gorgeous overlook of the Missouri River that regularly reminds me how blessed I am to live in such a beautiful part of the country with a wonderful friend who helps me get out the door for long, slow ass runs (aka "therapy").
- Best new piece of gear? My "new to me" road bike - I've almost mastered clipping in and out (still occassionally fall). But I've LOVED riding it this year. I think 2012 may be the year I fell in love with cycling and this bike definitely played a part in that.
- Best piece of running advice you received? Can't think of something specific. I feel like I get a lot of good advice and support in general from my online friends.
- Most inspirational runner? Sister Madonna Buder (aka "Iron Nun") who completed IM Canada at age 82 in 16:32!
- If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Progress.