Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Tri-ing to Train

In hopes of not suffering too much during the Show Me State Games triathlon this coming weekend, I've been trying to get in a few key workouts.  A few weekends ago, I did my first brick workout in probably close to a year.  I rode my bike out to the interchange and back for a little over 11 miles and then just ran about 2 miles in my neighborhood.  Slow, but sure.  Better than nothing.  Then I went over to Stephen's Lake after work in the week following and got my swim on.  I forgot my watch so I just swam until I was totally sick of it - probably about 45 min and likely just under a mile.
Stephens Lake swim area
The weekend after the 4th of July holiday, we met friends down at the Osage River for an afternoon of fun.  I decided to leave early and go by bike (almost 13 miles) and had thought about doing a short run, but really only did about 0.25 mile.  Ugh.  Not much of a brick.

View of the Osage River from the end of my bike ride
I've also been getting in some long, slow runs with Susan on her days off - one shorter one (on a day she wanted to bail, we went around her neighborhood for 3.75 miles) and a couple longer ones (Katy Trail 8.4 miles and MKT in Columbia for 6.4 miles).  But I definitely haven't done enough of the shorter runs (and in the hot weather) that would be good for training for a sprint. 
 
Katy Trail bridge


MKT Trail Run Smiles


After run drinks at Flat Branch
This last Sunday morning, I was up at 1 AM to head out to try the Tour de Jeff City moonlight bike ride.  I did it in 2011, but the following couple of years the date didn't fit with my schedule.  I rode last time with my friend (surveyor) Ron, but I was pretty much on my own this time.  I did it in a leisurely 2 hours (ish) last time including a pit stop.  This year I rolled out with the first group of 50, was quickly toward the front of the group (WTF is up with that?), skipped the stop and finished in just over an hour (for 15 miles around town).  Even rode up the big JCMG hill that I walked the last time.  Not a bad workout!
Big smile before the moonlight ride

Just before 2 A.M. roll out
 Last night, the weather was insanely nice (low 70's) so Walter, Pranavi and I rolled out for about 21 miles.  A few big hills, but mostly flat or rollers - but glad to be done as none of us were really feeling it.  So the big grin below is because we got it done (and because Walter just didn't see what was such a big deal about getting a post ride selfie).
Does the ride count without at least one pic like this?
I'm not looking forward to the long swim this weekend (half-ish mile in Philips Lake), but the bike shouldn't be too bad and I figure I can always trudge my way through the two laps of the lake for the 3.1 mi run.  Makes me wish I'd swam more.  Story of my last couple of years!  Guess I'll just try to gut it out and finish.  Maybe it won't be so bad.  Of course, we won't even talk about the 15 extra pounds I have to take with me this year.  Ugh! 

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you are doing some training. Just do the tri for fun.

    ReplyDelete