Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Run 2 of 48

I did it again.  Got up at 5:45 AM and drug my ass out the door - into a freaking sauna of a morning.  I decided the same route would be too boring so I went the other direction.  I jogged along even though everything felt tight.  My pace was about 40 seconds/mile slower than yesterday though it was 10 degrees warmer with like 100% humidity so I'm trying not to beat myself up about it.  I walked some of the uphill (and yes, some of the flat) sections.  But I knocked out run #2 of the Hal Higdon novice training plan.  It called for 3 miles.  I turned around at Stacy's house which is 1.61 miles away for 3.22 mi total at 13:20 min/mi pace.  Feel good for getting it done. 

Posted a selfie across from Stacy's house with a bit of a quiz to my Facebook friends:

"Quick quiz: This is the spot on my run this morning where I:
A. Figured out what I forgot last night.
B. Thought "running is stupid"
C. Turned around
D. Almost called Bill to come get me
E. Missed the old days of running with Stacy
F. All of the above"

For those who couldn't guess:  the answer is "F".  I was supposed to drop off some reports I wrote for the County (her husband is the County Engineer) last night which I remembered this morning as I approached her house.  I really should have said "running in very humid weather is stupid".  I did turn around.  I did consider not running back.  I really do miss running late at night with Stacy though she start a new job last spring that has her running around all day long - without me.

The training plan (if I choose to stick with it - still debating the "craziness") - calls for running 4x/week and one cross-training workout a week.  I might also do some strength and/or stretching stuff on the rest days.  So in 12 weeks, that is 48 runs plus probably 12 bike rides.  This was run #2.  We'll see if I can keep this up.  Tomorrow is my usual day to run longer with Susan.  Maybe we can tick off the 4 miles I'm supposed to do Saturday and then I can do another 3 miler then.  We'll see!

3 comments:

  1. You know you're going to do it. Big goals are good motivators, as you're already seeing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work. You did it...you got out there and you did it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work! You can do it. Freeze bottles of water and carry them in your hand. You'll have to keep switching hands because it is so cold, but it will help keep you cool and give you ice water about 30 minutes in.

    ReplyDelete