Wednesday, January 15, 2014

And the streak continues...

I'm hanging in there.  Still getting in some kind of workout every day.  Sometimes it is a bit of a juggle.  Sometimes I procrastinate the day away even when we are having freakishly warm January temperatures only to squeeze it in just before dark (or even just before bedtime).  But my workout streak that I started on Thanksgiving Day (that was helped along by the HBBC), continues strong.  Go me!

Apparently I am way behind in posting about my workouts.  I did Kiley at Daily Vitamin F's New Year's 5K (by getting on the trainer for 5.03 miles before the New Year's Eve party and then enjoying a relatively warm - 40ish degree - run of 3.25 miles on New Year's Day before temps crashed that night and we got snow).  I joined a January challenge to do a 140.6 over the month of January on Facebook led by Jamie at FromCouchtoIronwoman.com and Michele at MicheleInTransition.com.  So that 3.25 miles was also the kickoff of those workouts.

1/1/14 - New Year's 5K+ (3.25 mi)
Christmas decorations all taken down before the snow came and while it was still sunny!

Definitely feeling the late night - slow pace, but got the miles in regardless

1/2/14 - We had a snowstorm that extended our Christmas break by one lazy snow day so after a Netflix marathon with my daughter all day, I jumped on the trainer for 7.6 miles of biking.
 

1/3/14 - Squeezed in a quick COLD, but brisk, 2 mile walk with husband before we headed out to watch Mizzou win the Cotton Bowl at a friend's house.
Crazy game, but fun to watch while hanging out with fellow Mizzou alum
1/4/14 - Spent the day moving mother-in-law from assisted living apartment to Alzheimers facility.  We thought it would be closer to a year - not 4 months.  But the day after Christmas she tried to "walk home" because no one would come get her to "take her home from work".  So we moved her to a smaller facility with lockdown.  A quick 2 mile walk with my husband was all this tired girl had left in her.

1/5/14 - When my daughter's basketball tournament got snowed out (8" with a ton of wind drifting it even deeper in other areas), I took the opportunity to get in some trainer miles - 11 to be exact.

1/6/14 - Bitter sub-zero temps and tons of snow had school canceled again.  But my husband wasn't to be deterred from getting in a workout at our new gym.  And feeling guilty about staying in my warm bed, I drug my butt out the door with him.  We were only the 10th people to show up on that nasty day!  But we got in our reps on the weights and then I knocked out 3 miles on the treadmill.
I was not impressed with the fact this dropped 2 more degrees on the way to the gym

1/7/14 - Daughter had basketball practice at a church about a block from our new gym so my husband and I headed over to do weights and then I knocked out 3 miles on the treadmill.  Go me!

1/8/14 - My husband started dinner and I jumped on the trainer to get in 11.65 miles.  Yay for supportive spouses!
On the trainer in my garage (ie. "pain cave")
 
1/9/14 - Had to squeeze in a trip to the gym between work and going to a meeting for the kids' archery team.  But we got in weights and 2.5 miles!

1/10/14 - Knocked off work in time to head over to the ARC and hit the pool for 2200 yards!  I felt it too!  This was a tough workout after slacking in the pool most of the last several months.

1/11/14 - We knew we'd be out of town at our daughter's basketball tournament all day so we got up early and hit the gym for a strength session and 2.5 miles on the treadmill.

1/12/14 - Our day was full with getting up super early for a basketball tournament game out of town (daughter), then coming back and taking care of some stuff at home before going to the archery tournament that was here in town (both kids), then back home to work on some other things (plus some laziness) and my day almost got away from me. 

My girl on D
Just as we went into OT - tied at 12! Lost heartbreaker 12-14
Two tournaments in one weekend - first archery tournament (blonde with purple bow mid pic)

My son in blue with back to us mid pic during archery tournament
The weather was freakishly warm, but the wind was insane (30+ mph).  The roads have a lot of grit and salt on them with the recent storms so I didn't even consider taking the road bike off the trainer.  Instead I headed out on my mountain bike.  I often forget how freaking heavy that thing is.  How did I ever ride it regularly when I first started this crazy journey?  Anyway, my son has been riding it as he outgrew his bike and I think he and his dad may have played with the fit because I felt completely awful on it the whole time (never mind I was hating the wind).  It was approaching dusk as I finished my 9.55 miles.
Almost waited too long - can see moon rising just over my shoulder
1/13/14 - My husband started a new job this day and didn't get off work until 4:30.  Thankfully, it is only about 10 min from home and I was changed and ready to go to the gym when he got here.  So we snuck in a strength session plus 2 miles on the treadmill before rushing home to get son to Scouts.

1/14/14 - Kids had early release, but time still flew as I tried to get them to do homework before running daughter to piano lesson, hit the car wash, picked her up, came home and made spaghetti for dinner, snarfed that up so we could get to Girl Scouts (fire station tour plus first aid stuff) and then home for a quick 8.1 miles on the bike trainer before shower/bed.

Almost halfway through the month and my mileage is looking ok.  I'm proud that I've been getting in some weight lifting when normally strength work isn't high on my priority list.  I know this will help with injury prevention, etc. Going to have to ramp up bike work.

Swim = 1.25 mi
Bike = 47.9 mi
Run = 20.25 mi
Strength workouts = 5

3 comments:

  1. Great job! Very cool that your husband is joining you/supporting you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am impressed! I have never been able to stick to a streak for more than a couple weeks at a time, but you inspire me! That is amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to keep the streak going! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete